1628 Art Exhibit: Virtual Tour of Attention to Detail
Author : 1628 Ltd.
2 minute read | Author : 1628 Ltd.
2 min read
Attention to Detail: An Exhibition of The Female Fabricator – Virtual Tour
We have now put our spring 2020 exhibition, Attention to Detail, online as a virtual tour! Click here to experience the exhibition.
Special Thanks to Cinci360 for capturing the space and allowing 1628 the opportunity to share this exhibition with those not able to visit in person.
About the exhibition:
Attention to Detail features five local and regional artists, including Susan Byrnes, Margot Gotoff, Lori Nix, Jennifer Purdum, and Rachel Suzanne Smith.
Towards the end of modern art, many women began to abandon certain academic conventions of fine art. They began to embrace the domestic and challenge what it means to create as a fine artist. They reevaluated traditional crafts and placed them in galleries to contextualize and celebrate their importance.
The traditional tools of domestic craft are nimble tools; a sewing needle, an embroidery hoop, a loom — all which embraced detail. These tools were more strongly associated with the feminine, while the tools of forging and fabrication became tied in with the masculine. In conversation with Attention to Detail artist Susan Byrnes, she discussed how she believes people may not see metal as a feminine material due to its weight. Using power tools and forging with extreme heat to transform material is seen as a masculine act.
“These stereotypes (that women do not work in these mediums) still manage to persist in art. Metal is heavy, so we see it as unattainable to the female artist. We struggle to see photography as feminine due to the intrusive and mechanical nature of the camera. And we do not see abstracts as feminine because of an old-age saturation of male painters, and the fear of women to take up space with only aesthetic intent.” – Annabel Biernat, Curator, 1628 Ltd.
Art in the Exhibition:
1. Liberation Lingerie (2012) by Susan Byrnes
2. ViewFinder Series Round 6 (2016-2018) by Jennifer Purdum
3. ViewFinder Series Round 5 (2016-2018) by Jennifer Purdum
4. Rift (2016) by Lori Nix & Kathleen Gerber
5. Field to Forest Series: At Dusk (2019) by Rachel Suzanne Smith
6. Ruby Lady by Margot Gotoff
7. Unswept Floor (2019) by Jennifer Purdum
8. Lady in Slip by Margot Gotoff
9. Wearable Wallpaper (2020) by Rachel Suzanne Smith
10. Front Torso/Cobalt and Clear by Margot Gotoff
11. Circulation Desk (2012) by Lori Nix & Kathleen Gerber
12. Beauty Shop (2006) by Lori Nix & Kathleen Gerber
13. Dandelion Aureole Series: Radiance (2017) by Rachel Suzanne Smith
14. Enchanted Valise (2016) by Susan Byrnes
15. ViewFinder Series Round 3 (2016-2018) by Jennifer Purdum
16. Azure Dreams by Margot Gotoff
17. GreenHouse (2018) by Jennifer Purdum
18. Dandelion Aureole Series: Corona (2017) by Rachel Suzanne Smith
19. Torso Fragment by Margot Gotoff
20. Dandelion Aureole Series: Aura (2017) by Rachel Suzanne Smith
21. Anatomy Classroom (2012) by Lori Nix & Kathleen Gerber
22. ViewFinder Series Square 1 (2016-2018) by Jennifer Purdum
23. ViewFinder Series Square 2 (2016-2018) by Jennifer Purdum
24. Knitted Handmade (2016) by Susan Byrnes
25. Clamshell Clutch (2016) by Susan Byrnes
26. Arch (2015) by Lori Nix & Kathleen Gerber
27. Support System (2004) by Susan Byrnes
28. Dig (2008) by Susan Byrnes
29. Untitled (American) (2018) by Susan Byrnes
30. Dawn (2016) by Lori Nix & Kathleen Gerber
31. Botanic Garden (2008) & Lori Nix & Kathleen Gerber
32. Knapweed Bracelet Series: Cut Back (2019) by Rachel Suzanne Smith
33. Vacuum Showroom (2006) by Lori Nix & Kathleen Gerber
34. Hidden Soul by Margot Gotoff
35. Goldenrod (Collaborative) (2019) by Rachel Suzanne Smith & Jennifer Ramirez
For additional exhibition information or to purchase a work of art, please contact: Annabel Biernat, 1628 Art Curator at email@example.com
1628 is Now Hiring 09/12/17
Job Title: Executive Assistant Compensation: Hourly, $15-20/hr Job Type: Part-Time, 25 – 30 hrs /wk Benefits eligibility: PTO, Commuter allowance, Lunch Partner Program Job Description: 1628 LTD is a curated coworking facility that provides a creative work environment for its’ members. 1628 is customer service focused providing the highest caliber and standards of reception at every level […]
1628 Industry Insights Series with Karen Frank 05/21/19
On a monthly basis, Tamara Schwarting, 1628’s CEO, hosts conversations with Cincinnati Industry leaders in a fireside chat with the focus on sharing best practices and lessons learned in critical areas including leadership, marketing, management, and innovation. These informative sessions run for 1 hour, (40 minute Question/Answer, 10 minute open floor for member questions, 10 minute member […]